If you have a little superstar-in-the-making that has dreams of appearing on the big screen then acting classes are an absolute must. No matter how skilled your child or teen may be on the school stage, there are certain aspects of acting that simply cannot be learned without attending structured acting classes for kids. For example, did you know that there are quite a few different acting techniques that successful actors use to wow their audiences?
Safe to say, there’s a whole lot to learn about acting besides memorising lines and actions. But there’s no need to worry; there are plenty of options available for your child or teen, one of which is super convenient (we’ll save that one for last!)
If you find yourself asking the question ‘where on earth can I find kids acting classes near me?’ then we’ve got your back. In this post we’ll take a look at some of the options available whether you’re looking for acting classes for kids in Sydney or Kids acting classes in Brisbane. In fact, it doesn’t matter where you are; there’s a kids acting class that your child or teen can get started on right now.
So what are the options?
Traditional kids acting classes
A traditional acting class for kids is exactly the kind of class you think of when you hear the words ‘acting school’. These are formal, scheduled classes where your child will learn various acting skills from an acting coach or teacher. The class will usually consist of around ten or more students and will last for perhaps an hour or maybe a little longer.
● A traditional acting class for kids is a great way to meet with other students who are also beginning their acting journey.
● Group sessions can be a fun way to test out your newfound acting skills.
● They are sometimes affiliated with a local theatre which could mean opportunities for unpaid acting roles.
● Some acting coaches may have good relationships with casting directors.
● Traditional acting classes for kids can be expensive meaning that parents need to factor in this cost before your child earns any money.
● Acting schools can be tough to get into with many having long waiting lists.
● A classroom setting can be a tough place to start for kids who are nervous about stepping into the spotlight.
● Kids in acting classes are stuck to a rigid schedule — no chance to rearrange classes.
● Mums and dads need to factor in travel time.
Private acting classes for kids
A private acting class is when mum and dad hire an acting coach to help their child in a one-on-one setting. This can take place either in an acting school or in the child’s home and it’s a quite popular choice for kids who are a little more advanced in their skills.
● Full focus of the coach is centred on your child’s progress.
● More opportunities to practice skills.
● More flexibility with class times and schedule.
● Classes can be in the child’s own home.
● Much more expensive than group classes.
● No opportunity to practise or connect with other students.
● Mum or dad will usually need to sit in on the class.
● No exposure to another coach and their methods and techniques.
Online acting classes for kids
This is the most recent addition to acting class options for kids and we have to say, it’s our favourite. An online acting class for kids is held entirely online usually through Zoom or another video conferencing platform or tool. The class can be either live or recorded and can consist of anywhere from one child up to twenty.
● More cost-effective than traditional classes.
● Your child can learn from the comfort of their own home.
● No ‘exclusivity’ factor to consider.
● The ability to record lessons and rewatch.
● More flexibility (missed classes can be rewatched).
● Opportunities to test skills ‘live’ on camera.
● No travel time.
● No in-person group activities.
Really, that’s about the only con we can think of, and to be perfectly honest, online acting classes do actually have group activities too!
What’s the best option?
That really depends on your needs and where you are located. For example, if you’re looking for acting classes for kids in Melbourne and you live in the city, then there are plenty of traditional class options available to you and your child. However, if you’re outside the city or if travelling to and from lessons would be too time-consuming, online classes are definitely the better option.
The truth is that each option has its own advantages and it really is down to the personal circumstances and even personality of each individual child. A shy child might prefer private classes while an outgoing child might prefer traditional classes. It’s really up to parents to decide which is best for their child, but of course, cost and convenience can be a major factor.
Here at Bubblegum Casting, we believe that every child should have the same opportunity to fulfil their dreams of acting on stage or making it onto the big screen. And that means that they’ll need acting classes to improve their skills. But like we said, acting schools can have long waiting lists and private coaches can be super expensive. That’s why we decided to create our own online acting school that we call Bubblegum Academy. We’re not going to push a hard sell, but it’s certainly worth taking a peek at to see if it’s something that might suit your child.
Whatever option you decide to take, we wish you all the best. Who knows? We might see your child on the big screen some day!